The mission of WISC can be described in five points:
- To spread and share knowledge and expertise about international studies in all parts of the world, especially among and between countries allocated in a so-called “Global South” and “Global North”.
- Facilitate the creation of global and regional contacts among scholars and reach out, especially, to scholars in the Global South.
- Provide a direct access for younger scholars and those in early stages of their careers to be exposed to senior colleagues and research outlets from all parts of the world in order to enhance opportunities to promote the results of their research.
- Create a setting for initiation of local and regional networks of scholars in the Global South, which are expected to take place both at formal level (creation of new professional association within the WISC) and informal level (personal initiatives).
- Sustain these networks and other forms of cooperation with the help of the WISC.