Sixth Global International Studies Conference 2020
Call for Hosts
The World International Studies Committee (WISC) is seeking a host association and institution for the Sixth Global International Studies Conference to be held in 2020. The previous hosts were
- the Turkish Political Science Association (SITD) and Istanbul Bilgi University (2005),
- the Central and East European International Studies Association (CEEISA) and the University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Social Sciences (2008),
- the Portuguese Association of the History of International Relations (APHRI) and the University of Porto (2011),
- the German Association of Political Science – International Relations Section (DVPW – IP) and Goethe University Frankfurt (2104) and
- the Taiwan Association of International Relations (TAIR) and National Taiwan University , Taipei (2017).
The hosts have the principal function to provide the local facilities for the Conference of 2020. The hosts are not responsible for the Program or for the registration process although they are expected to facilitate such processes where so requested.
The conference should take place during the period June - September 2020.
Previous conferences have been in places which have good international travel connections, which are attractive and in which there is a committed and well-connected local institution. Until now the meetings have been held on a University campus but this is not a requirement.
This involves finding a suitable location, local hotels, receptions and sponsorship, high profile local speakers, touristic possibilities and the like. We are particularly interested to know of the extent to which the local organizers think they will be able to raise support funding for scholars from the Global South. The local organizers are members of the Conference Committee but they are neither responsible for the Program Committee nor for registration.
Checklist of Items:
- Visa arrangements
- Hotel capacities for up to 1000
- Local transportation
- 1 plenary room for +/- 500
- Ca. 30 seminar rooms
- Book exhibition room / area
- Internet access (room) for participants
- Lunch & snacks
- National / local plenary speaker
- Suggestions for end-of-conference outings
- Travel agent
Responsibilities of Local Organizer / Member Association (including funding):
- Conference website
- Printing of program
- Travel Grants for scholars from Global South (esp. early career)
- Free venue facilities
- Limited number of free hotel rooms
- Airline concessions
- Mobilization of Sponsors
- Administration of Conference at the time of the event
Responsibilities of WISC (including funding):
- Software for and Handling of Registration
- Organizing Program Committee (including calls for paper and panel proposals etc.)
WISC pays for approved expenses but any surplus from the Conference reverts to WISC.
Submitting an application:
The WISC Committee normally meets twice a year (the next meetings are scheduled during the ISA Annual Convention on 19 March 2016 in Atlanta, USA and during the EISA Annual Convention in Izmir, Turkey, 7-10 September 2016,). The final decision should be made during the 5th Global International Studies Conference in Taipei, Taiwan, 1-3 April 2017.
The Committee would like to consider detailed applications. It is desirable that a representative of the host association/institution be present to explain the proposal and answer questions. Prior to that or immediately thereafter the Executive Secretary or a Committee member will make a site visit.